Sunday, March 2, 2014

Another wind chill advisory day = a great day to read!

This has been a really long winter!  I really don't mind winter however, this winter has been so bitterly cold.  I am continually getting text alerts from the local sheriff department telling me that there is a wind chill advisory.  Actually this winter it has been common for me to get a text warning stating that the wind chill advisory is being extended!  We have snow but it is so bitterly cold that we can't go out and play in it.

Today is another wind chill advisory day.  The good thing about these days is watching movies and reading books.

I started a new book yesterday, "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.  It is a book I've heard a lot about but I haven't read it yet so I'm excited to read it and then discuss it with my book club in a couple of weeks.



This is a quote from the very first page of the book.  Chua is explaining how Chinese parents raise such successful kids.  This is what she states:

"Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:

  • attend a sleepover
  • have a playdate
  • be in a school play
  • complain about not being in a school play
  • watch TV or play computer games
  • choose their own extracurricular activities
  • get any grade less than an A
  • not be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama
  • play any instrument other than the piano or violin
  • not play the piano or violin"
Wow!  Like I said, this was page 1.  It immediately grabbed my attention because this isn't common childrearing in America.  I am now on page 60 of this book.  One thing that I really like about her writing is her honesty and her transparency.  

As a parent and as a teacher, I think I will be able to relate to many aspects of this book.  Right before chapter one she states:  "This was supposed to be a story of how Chinese parents are better at raising kids than Western ones.  But instead, it's about a bitter clash of cultures, a fleeting taste of glory, and how I was humbled by a thirteen-year-old."

I can't wait to read more about her journey!  I hope to learn more about myself and my personal views as a parent and as a teacher through her.

5 comments:

  1. You have such a great perspective…that reading Chua's book will help you to learn more about yourself…I love that! She's intense and has a new book now with her husband…Jed Rubenfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure is an interesting book. I decided not to read it after I saw the author's interview. But I like how you describe your reading as "learning more about her journey" and "learning more about myself." Way to keep the right perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I had not heard of the book or author. I will check it out to see if my book club would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book, but I'm putting it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a fascinating read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete